You will have a quiz that asks you to tell the difference between phrases & clauses.
To prepare, please complete this exercise: Read each of the sentences below. Decide whether the part in bold is 1) a phrase, which does not have a subject and a verb, or 2) a clause, which has both a subject & a verb.
In your homework book, write whether each bolded part is a phrase or a clause. I will collect your books in class & give you credit for your work.
- After I get off work on Saturday, I have a lot of homework to do!
- After work, Sally and I are going out for ice cream.
- I stayed until the very end.
- Until Darth Vader appeared, the movie was boring.
- Donald fell asleep during the sermon.
- Donald fell asleep while the preacher was speaking.
- Hiking in the San Juan mountains, Chris and Jen saw a herd of moose.
- Could I please have more time to complete this project, since my younger sister is coming to visit?
The last two are a little tricky, so be careful!